Friday, December 18, 2009

So Surreal

surreal
resembling a dream
unreal
dreamlike
not actually such
being or seeming fanciful or imaginary


I am sitting in a coffee shop. It is Christmas time. Outside the window just beside me, snow is falling. Our children are miles away at their grandparents' home. My husband is just across the table, our feet almost touching. Our eleventh anniversary just a day away; love still so strong. Chatter all around from busy coffee drinkers and socialites. Homeschool planning started and half finished. Jasmine tea in a delightful green cup just inches away from my typing hands. Warm and delicious meal still warming my tummy from a lunch date in the heart of Chapel Hill, our college town. Christmas shopping awaiting us. This is surreal.

The odd silence within our home. The uninterrupted conversation. The quietness. The ease. It has taken a bit to be relaxed enough to enjoy the stillness. Our children fill my life with so much joy. With that joy comes childlike chatter and chaos. Life can be nonstop. Taking a deep breath is sometimes difficult. As taxing as those nonstop days are, I love them. Being able to stop, breathe and evaluate allows me to truly appreciate the richness and fullness of my dreamlike life.