Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What Kind of Insect Would You Be?

During lunch today, I asked the kids if they could choose any insect they would like to be for a day, what would they be?

(word for word)

Brayden's response: Mommy, I would be a ladybug 'cause they have wings and they can fly high in the sky.

Kalen: I think I would be a bumblebee 'cause they have those hard stingers and they protect themselves that way. And 'cause they have these wonderful stripes, they are so cool. Oh and they have these antennas.

Maddie: I would be a butterfly, because they can fly. I like the way they look and how they flap their wings.

Julian: Definitely a dragonfly, because they are the fastest bug and they can fly.

We have been studying insects within our science lessons. The other day at the library Kalen suggested that we study bugs. We loaded up on library books on this topic. Ah, the joy and freedom of homeschooling. I looked on the web and found this site. I have been winging it (no pun intended) and the kids have really been digging it (okay that was intended). However, today is not our day to actually do science (I had no lesson planned), but I thought this conversation starter might be fun.

Do you all have fun ideas for conversation starters during meals? I would love to hear.

3 comments:

laurie said...

I'm thinking you need to take a "flying" trip really soon!:-) Sounds like they all want to see life from the heavens...what a great conversation starter!

love you bunches!

Leah said...

oh how i love it! i love that kalen said, "wonderful stripes"...too cute!

Brooke said...

Love those "rabbit trails" you can head down on with homeschooling, learning can be so fun!

Our latest conversation starter: "What person would you like to spend a day with and what would you want to talk about with them?"