Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Keeping Our Options Open

A few months ago we stumbled upon a really unique school in downtown Durham. It is a free year around public charter elementary school (K-5). We know several interesting families that have their children enrolled there. Scott and I decided that if we are indeed responsible for our kids' education, we might as well find out about a school that appeals to us. Scott and I are not the type of homeschooling parents that think that homeschooling is the only way to go. I think it would be way too restrictive to assume that homeschooling is the only way our children could or should thrive or be educated. My preference is to have them home. However, I think it is important that Scott and I keep our options open and not close a door to an opportunity that could be both refreshing and a good experience for our children.


Our family went out one morning to visit this sweet little school. We had contacted the school and signed up for one of their tours. Evidently, they do tours fairly often. The students that attend school there were all in there appropriate rooms at that time. We joined a group of about twenty parents and strolled through the halls as a parent gave us a guided tour within the building. My first impression was that the classrooms and the school building itself is cozy. I am not saying that I felt overly cramped. I am truly saying that it felt cozy to be there. Our kids peered in the classrooms just as we did, their eyes wide with curiosity. We even went outside to the playground. Of course, our kids thought the playground was fabulous. I enjoyed hearing about how the school is very project based. I saw evidence on the walls and within the classroom of that. The tour concluded and then there was little discussion period. We walked our children outside with enrollment applications in hand and an open mind.

The school has a lottery system for enrollment. Scott and I decided to go ahead and fill out the paperwork and enter the lottery and see what happened. This past Monday was the actual lottery. We were notified that Julian, Madelyn and Kalen are now on the waiting list at the very top (1-6). I guess that is pretty good for this sort of thing.

Right now we are thankful to have learned about this sweet school. I feel good about entering them into the lottery and allowing ourselves the option should they get accepted. It is good to have options. I don't want our children to ever think that we have boxed them in at home and not considered other opportunities and such. I want them to see Scott and I actively seeking out what is a good fit for each of them and our family as a whole.

6 comments:

The Presnell's said...

That's great. When do you find out?

Anna Morrison said...

Pam- I am not sure what the timeline is for this sort of thing. The first of the new school year for this school is July. So, we shall see. Thanks for commenting. :)

Brooke said...

Ah, I'd hate to see this season of homeschooling end for your sweet family. But the Lord will guide you in what's best for each of you on the journey. ~Brooke

Melissa S. said...

I just had Ashley ask me the question about when she could go to school. I have been very scared about that question. I honestly am very afraid of the schools here where we live and can't afford private schools that I feel are the only other option. I am encouraged to hear about your "find".

Laura said...

way to go friend!! i think it is so wise to be open to whatever God might have for you and your kids. matt and i always say that while we are homeschooling today, that we want to pray each year, for each child and be open to God saying that something different is better for this kid, this season. i love your openness! you rock.

laurie said...

How exciting for your family! I can only imagine the possible transition, but I'm thrilled to hear of your options. Take care friend! Love you!