Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Compassion


This fall, the kids and I took on a little homeschooling science project of our own. We sent off a certificate to get five live caterpillars. With care, these caterpillars would make their little chrysalides and turn into Painted Lady Butterflies. It was a really neat experience. We even kept the butterflies for a few days and fed them in their little habitat. We decided to let them all free one beautiful and oddly warm day here in Boone.

My sweet little nature boy, Kalen, is pictured here with one of our glorious butterflies. Kalen loves creatures. We were amazed as we watched this butterfly walk all over Kalen. He was so still and quiet. A tear came to my eye, as I watched this little fellow pull up a handful of grass and put it on his shoulder for the butterfly. I remember it very well, he said, "Mommy, this for the butterfly." He truly thought that his small butterfly would benefit somehow from a bunch of blades of grass. Maybe he thought it would want to sit on it or even eat from it. Whatever his thought was, he was showing compassion.

As I think about Jesus and my desire to be like him, I believe he was very compassionate. I believe he was a doer and met the needs of those around him. My desire for my children is to know that kind of compassion and live it.

No comments: