Thursday, November 16, 2006

Too Big to Hold

I pulled my oldest son aside today and asked if we could spend some time together alone. This was spurred on by some misbehavior earlier on during the day. We sat and talked for awhile. During our chat, I asked him if he would help me come up with a list of ways I could love him better. As I am raising four children all under the age of six, it is sometimes hard to figure out how to meet all their needs. He had a puzzled face as he said, "I don't know about that, Mom." I asked him if he wanted me to give him some examples and he said, "Sure." I suggested playing more with him, reading to him more, and then I suggested holding him. He said, "Those sound really good, but Mom, I thought I was too big for you to hold." Tears filled my eyes as I pulled him to me. As I held him tightly, I assured him that he was not too big for me to hold (ever). A mother's touch is powerful. Being held is a great feeling of comfort, love and assurance.

No comments: