Friday, March 30, 2007

New Bible Scholar

This week it dawned on me that we needed to get Julian a bible. We have several children's bibles with tons of pictures, but this seemed to immature for our fluent reader. Watching him read these 300 to 400 page books by Brian Jacques brought me to this thought. I thought how natural it would be for him to now pick up his own bible and read chapters at a time. Even for fun! Jules was on board. We talked about the importance of reading the bible and the richness of it.

We waited for Scott to get home from work and went to our local bookstore to find a good bible for JJ. We found a Max Lucado bible that was written for kids between the ages of 8 and 12. It is a devotional bible that fits him. We also found a devotional book entitled My Big Book of 5-Minute Devotions by Pamela and Douglas Kennedy. This devotional is super cute devotional is perfect for my little animal lovers.

~Let me say a little something here. I have grown a lot in my walk with the Lord. I know full well that just having a bible and having a devotional time daily isn't the only answer in growing closer to the Lord. Our faith encompasses so much more. However, if I can assist Julian and help give him the tools needed to seek the Lord at this early age and be as good as an example as I can~ I am steering him in the right direction. Two of Julian's greatest passions are reading and history, what better history book could he read?~

We brought the kids home and before we knew it Julian was asking where the story of David and Goliath is in the bible. I led him to 1 Samuel 17 and he read three chapters immediately. He stood up and said to anyone who was listening," I really like David. He was a really neat guy."

Yesterday morning, after breakfast, Julian came to me and said," If you want to know where I'll be, I will be in my room reading my bible." I said, "well, okay bud!" There is something to be said about allowing a child to find his faith as a child. Sure, I teach the children every morning about something related to the Lord and our life in him. Julian is reading the stories for himself and asking questions. He has an interest. Isn't that what the Lord wants of us? He wants us to come willing to learn, humble and like a child.

No comments: