Sunday, February 7, 2010

Seed Starting

This past week we started some seeds indoors. We tried this last winter and didn't do so well. With the help of the Kruideniers (our friends in SC) Organic Gardening, and About.com we have put a lot more thought into this process and taken a chance with several flowers and vegetables.

I am happy to report that days later, we have sprouts. :) We are crossing our fingers that we will be able to transplant lettuce, cabbage, marigolds, kale, and collards in mid-March. These are all plants that would be more tolerate to cooler temperatures. In March we will also be planting other vegetable seeds straight into the ground. Vegetables like sugar snap peas, turnips, chard, kale, lettuce varieties, and some sweet pea flowers.

As soon as our ground dries up a little more here, we are heading back to Carefree Ranch. This is where we go with buckets and shovel up horse manure to bring home for our garden. The manure enriches the soil. I am sure I will post about that again.


4 comments:

Coran said...

hmmmm... I was JUST thinking about wanting to do this last night! You've inspired me to get my seeds started.

Anonymous said...

Anna, where do you buy your seeds? I even love their packaging!

~Brooke

laurie said...

Can I just say, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new picture! Those little fingers are just precious!!! HOpe you are doing well! Love you bunches.

xoxo,
Laurie

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I can't wait to start mine! :)