Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Homeschooling





For the Morrison family, homeschooling is our chance to raise and teach our children the way that we think is best. This is a freedom that we are thankful that we have. We are choosing to daily watch, train, teach, coach, love, encourage, correct, and inspire our children.

When did we start? We started when Julian was born (almost seven years ago). Each of our children have been born into this lifestyle. Every day, every moment presents an opportunity to learn and grow.

Why do I homeschool? I want to be with my children. I am their best teacher. I know them better and can accomodate them best. I want to give them one on one attention. My desire is that at the end of the day they do not feel defeated in any way but celebrated and supported. I want to give them the opportunity to follow their own interests and passions. The social pressures are not ideal in the public school setting. I can teach about Jesus and how radical he was. We have flexibility at home.

Creativity is not only okay in our homeschool but vital. Within our homeschool, we have the freedom to explore ideas, make crafts, draw, paint, imagine, and create. We can finish projects with no time restrictions. We can laugh, sing, dance, and make noise!

Scott and I want our kids to grow to be independent learners. We love a piece of advise that was given to us by R.C. Sproul Jr., "teach them to read and give them great books." That is what Mr. Sproul said homeschooling was all about for his family.

The most wildly used comment given to me, referring to homeschooling, is "I don't know how you do it, Anna." You know, it is not easy. I have a lot of hard days. I get stressed. My tank gets empty. I sometimes cry. However, I have hope. I know that what I am doing is what I, and Scott, think is best. I am very schedule oriented. I believe our whole family does better when we have a plan. For the most part, each day we all know what will be expected. This all helps me to keep the day flowing. I have wonderful friends and family that support and encourage me through every week.

I have posted some photos that capture a little bit of our homeschooling. There is a picture of Julian at the table with his encyclopedias. He decided he wanted to learn more about something, so he got out a paper and some books and started researching on his own. There is a photo of Kalen "reading" to Brayden. Another photo of Julian and Kalen with two buddies Price and Bryant. Julian has playdates with them weekly. Julian and Madelyn are doing an archeological dig out in our yard in one of the photos. We were studying about history and how we know what we now know about people in the past.

No comments: