Thursday, December 4, 2008

Squash and White Bean Soup



I tried a new soup from my Real Simple magazine. I absolutely love it. It is a beautiful soup. I enjoy using butternut squash. If you are up for trying something new and into veggies, you'll really enjoy this fall soup.

I have copied this recipe from Real Simple's website as is. I didn't make the Parmesan biscuits to go with it, but some of you may like that. Enjoy!

Squash and White Bean Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
1 bunch spinach, thick stems removed (4 cups)
Biscuit mix and ingredients to make 8 biscuits
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan (1 ounce)

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.

Stir in the squash, thyme, 5 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the beans and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted and the beans are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the biscuits according to the package directions, sprinkling with the Parmesan before baking. Serve with the soup.

Tip: To make this satisfying soup even heartier, add 1/2 cup orzo or other small pasta at the same time you add the water.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 730; FAT 26g (sat 7g); CHOLESTEROL 9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 106g; CALORIES FROM FAT 32%; SODIUM 1890mg; PROTEIN 22g; FIBER 14g; SUGAR 12g

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Can I just say I love Real Simple? And that little iron skillet they featured for only $30! That's going to be sitting under the tree for Josh this year :)

Kallie said...

I love that magazine! That looks so yummy- I think I might try it out tonight...mmmm...