Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back to School

This was the scene of my dining room table last week. I have been planning for the upcoming weeks of homeschooling here at our Carolina Academy of Liberal Arts. Yes, that is the name of our school. You may not know that when you officially register to enroll your kids in your homeschool here in NC, you actually get to name it.

I had planned on having our kids do math and reading/vocabulary workbooks all throughout the summer weeks, but it hasn't happened as often as I had hoped. Instead, we have just enjoyed being whimsical and having fun with our summer. We have had a blast with our pool, traveling to see family, playing with neighbors, shopping at thrift stores, having water balloon fights, enjoying our fresh produce from the garden, having bare feet, and seeing a lot of Daddy.

Monday, we will start back with our daily learning time. Our school days hopefully will start around 9 am and we will wrap up with table work around 1 or 2. We will have many breaks as you can imagine (i.e. squabbles, someone needs help with the computer, phone call, Brayden needs to be wiped . . . you get the point). I now have a rising fourth grader that loves to read and is really crazy about science, an artsy second grader that is very diligent and keeps us all sane at times, a very eager Kindergartner that loves math, and an energetic and verbal family loving Preschooler. I have my work cut out for me, eh? I am very excited! Our kids are all different. It is neat to see them grow each year and notice their bends.

It is tempting at times to enroll our kids in the elementary school just a mile or so up the road. I would just have Brayden at home. I won't say we won't ever take them to public school, but for now I am enjoying the thought of being with our kids at home this year and looking back on our homeschooling experience with no regrets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy homeschooling!
Daniel

Anonymous said...

May you all have a wonderful school year! We start 7th and 8th grade homeschool in one more week here. ~Brooke