Monday, February 5, 2007

Cook with your kids





Just before Christmas, I really wanted to buy Madelyn and/or Kalen a play kitchen. I just thought it would be fun, cute and entertaining. Scott was very persistent in telling me that they cook with me in the real kitchen all the time, why would they need a play thing? I took his words and just kind of buried the desire.

I am grateful for my husband's simple but wise words. Everyday, I involve my kids, somehow, in the kitchen. I love it. Sure, there are times when it takes triple the amount of time that it would take me to do it alone. It is such a thrill for the kids to be trusted with "real utensils" and such. If you know anything about Charlotte Mason, I think she would be proud. If you don't know anything about her, look her up.

Kids need to feel a part of life here at home. Allowing them to cook and bake is a great way to involve them. Giving them responsibility makes all the difference in their day.

They will make more of a mess. They will ask questions. They will want to lick everything. They may sneeze. Patience will be tested. Ah, but what a sense of autonomy when the task is complete.

I have posted some photos of Julian and Madeyln helping make cookies.

I am not trying to toot my own horn here. I do not want these posts to be about that. I do want to share things I have learned.

No comments: