Monday, February 12, 2007

His Comment

Tonight, I went in the kid's room to help settle down Kalen and Madelyn. Julian, Madelyn and Kalen all sleep in the same room together. We, nor they, wouldn't have it any other way. After we put them to bed at night, Kalen usually gets up and sneaks around Madelyn's bed to hang out with her in someway. Some nights we never have to come back in, tonight some assistance was required. I entered to find Kalen headed up the bunk bed ladder to retrieve Maddie's stuffed elephant. As I scooped him up and hugged him tightly, he made a comment I will never forget. He said, "I'm glad you are here. I am glad you and Daddy are here." That is it. Simply said. Unforgettable.

Kalen wasn't just saying he was glad we were there in the room with him. Scott was not standing there with us. I think it would be fair to say that Kalen was referring to our constant love and care for him. That will make you tear up. I looked at him and said, " I am really glad, too."

Now, for an added note. Usually by 8 or 8:30pm, I have almost expired. Not really smiling a lot. Just trying to get the kids to bed, so I can be alone or with Scott. I confess, I am not all that tender as I tuck them in at night. Not only did Kalen's comment encourage me as a parent to continue to be present in his life and love him daily. It made me realize that scooping him up and hugging him made a big difference in that moment. I could have yanked him off the ladder, plopped him in his bed and told him a thing or two about staying in his bed (believe me, I have). Would I have gotten the same comment? I think not. Instead, he felt the soft and loving touch of his mother. He was responding to love with love.

I have so much to learn with parenting. These kids are growing me up daily. I honestly believe that the Lord gives me something new to work on each day. Overwhelming? At times. However, I do not want to be content where I am, as a person. I want to be ever growing. Tonight, I have been encouraged to be a tender loving mother. It is easy to get caught up in the schedule of the day and leave out those soft touches and embraces.

No comments: