Saturday, September 5, 2009

Late Summer Gardening

We've enjoyed our garden so much this season. Harvesting our own vegetables is so sweet and satisfying.

I thought I would give you a few glimpses into what is going on out in garden.
Madelyn and Julian are preparing to plant turnip and radishes in this photo.

Here is my little helper, Brayden. He is watering a tomato plant. It just so happens this is the plant he waters every time. It is the closest plant to the rain barrel where he fills up his watering can. :) Like the boots? Recent purchase from our local thrift store. I had seen these at Target and wanted to buy them each time I saw them. Patience pays off. We paid $3.

Butternut squash as it was just beginning to grow.

This is the same squash from above. Isn't it gorgeous? We have never grown butternut squash before. We had no idea they were so easy and quick to grow. I saved some seeds from some butternut squash we bought last year from Trader Joe's. I dried them, persuaded by Julian, and stored them for us to plant later. They came up!


Believe it or not, our tomato plants are still flowering and growing taller. They are well over 6 ft. now. We have never had tomato plants to grow in height this much.

This is a harvest from a week ago.


This is an eggplant flower. We have been so surprised by this plant's longevity. It keeps flowering and flowering.


These were our two biggest eggplant yet. We sliced them up and ate them in a tofu scramble last week.

Pictured here is a zucchini and beautiful rainbow chard. We keep cutting our chard off and it grows right back. Did you know that about chard? It is a wonderful vegetable to grow in your garden.

This past week, the kids and I planted radishes, turnips, kale, lettuce and chard. Hopefully they will give us a bountiful fall harvest.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

You guys have SO inspired me to try harder to grow a little garden next year! Tell Scott I'm even composting some now. Where do you get your seeds/plants? I would so love to have a garden with a yield. :)

The Presnell's said...

I'm so envious of your garden. It really shows the time and effort you guys put through. It's amazing. Mine is not looking so well, but that's our fault. We got lazy. UGH!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful garden yall. We grew butternut for the first time as well. Not only is it fairly resistant to vine bore moths but it keeps forever after picking. I'm blown away by your tomatoes. Way to go.
Daniel