Monday, October 5, 2009

Art Appreciation

Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, sculpture, and paintings. (Wikipedia)


I remember highly anticipating Art class as I went through elementary school. Whatever rotation Art class was on, it didn't seem to be available enough. I am thankful that I don't have to worry about our Art program being cut out of our school budget here at Carolina Academy of Liberal Arts. We love Art. Whether it is dancing around the coffee table to a CD or attempting to use a medium that a famous painter or sculptor used- it brings us life.

This year we have been studying famous artists like Degas, Rousseau, Van Gogh, and we even went to an exhibit at Duke University's Nasher Museum of Art to see some real paintings and drawings by, none other than, Pablo Picasso.

We have been using the Usborne Art Treasury. It takes an artist, gives lots of information about him/her and one of their pieces. Then the next two pages show us how we can attempt to use that same medium and technique to make our own masterpieces. It brings me so much joy to see my children's fingers dotted with paint or pastel chalk. I love their own interpretations and expressions.

Here are a couple of the paintings they have studied most recently. I need to go prepare for our study of Monet today. :)





Here is Madelyn's owl that was drawn by pencil and later painted. She had studied one of Rousseau's jungle paintings.


Here is Julian working on a jungle scene as well.

Don't you love Brayden's attire? He dresses up sometimes in one of Maddie's old leotards. Here Brady is painting a jungle scene.

Kalen is using oil pastels to create a water like piece.


Julian drew a fish with pastels then painted over it with watercolors.


4 comments:

Sybille said...

Great!! I love your pictures!
We deceided to do more art this year. The kids have much fun and they make very interesting pictures.

Brooke said...

Great job! We love art at our house too. Do you have a homeschool Art Fair in your area? We have one here in March every year and they are a blast. The boys love earning their placement ribbons!

The Presnell's said...

LOL!! I love Brady's attire. That really cracked me up! :)

Julian is very talented. He may be an artist when he grows up. :)

I love your pictures too!

FreeK said...

Thanks for reminding me to do art, these are great pics. Its not really my thing, but the kids love it so I need to do it more. Thanks for the book recommendation too! The ballet suit is precious. Madison used to dress Noah up as Cinderella, he loved it. Not so much now, but he still has a very sweet side about him. I posted a picture of him on the blog once some people didn't find it funny, but I think they need to lighten up.