Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Enjoying Nature's Beauties

One of our favorite places to visit is Duke Gardens. Today we made an afternoon out of it. We were determined to be surrounded by nature and just enjoy it. We definitely accomplished what we were after- and then some.

Scott and I have been discussing the importance of our family enjoying nature even more than we already do. It is easy to numb ourselves (as Scott puts it) with 'stuff' instead of filling ourselves with joy that comes from appreciating and enjoying nature. We are bombarded daily with all things unnatural. We must get back to nature.

We set out with all we needed for our picnic as well as our backpack full of nature journaling supplies and field guides. The most enjoyable moment or taste of paradise for me was lying on our quilt just behind a tree enough to be shaded somewhat while still feeling the warmth from the sun- as our kids climbed a huge Magnolia tree just across from me. They played for a long time, talking, singing and giggling. It was just them and the Magnolia. That is powerful. Much more powerful than what they watched on WordGirl this morning before breakfast.

So, now I will share gobs of pictures from our expedition. :)


We had a Nature Scavenger Hunt. I had found this idea in a magazine.


I am lying on my blanket taking a picture of the big Magnolia tree that the kids were playing on. You can barely see them in the photo.











Bird watching


Brady drawing leaves. I brought some paper for them to do a little reflective nature journaling just before we left.


Kalen was very proud of this huge leaf he found.

3 comments:

Laura said...

how fun! totally agree that we all need to get out there more!! ugh, its hard to do sometimes, but there's is something divine about being in creation --go figure. love ya!

Anonymous said...

Man, those Duke Gardens are something else. What a wonderful day. I need to get out and experience some Morrison Nature. We miss yall,
Daniel

Angela Skelton said...

Hi Anna...thanks for reading my blog. I love reading yours too. You do such neat things with your kids I like to see all the fun pictures. We are sad we didn't get to see you while we were in North Carolina. Erin is anxious to come back and meet your kids. Janet told us all about them.
Love,
Angela