Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Give and Receive

I have this wonderful neighbor I mentioned before.  Her name is Lan, she lives across the street. She is Vietnamese.  She turned sixty years old this year and is wise beyond her years.  Lan is very petite, but spunky.  She is quite chatty, but refreshing.  This morning she comes over with a bunch of fresh cinnamon basil in her hand from her garden.  She gave me the bunch of basil and we greeted each other.  She made sure to address all the children.  She then asks me if I had any nutmeg.  I told her I did and went to fetch it, as the kids hung out with her.  I handed her the tablespoon of nutmeg and we continued to chat for a good bit.  She needed the nutmeg to made an apple pie.  She has never made this American specialty.  


Lan told me about making fresh peach jam.  She has a small peach tree in her backyard and was telling me all about it.  Lan told me not to go far and she was going to go get me a jar of her homemade jam.  The kids scattered and I awaited her quick return.  She gave me a jar of her jam and told me not to laugh if it wasn't good.  She used brown sugar, instead of regular.  She only had brown sugar and she doesn't drive herself anywhere.  She stays home, as she says, "twenty-four hour a day."  

Within her culture, you don't ask and take something from someone else without giving to them.  I gave her a simple tablespoon of nutmeg and she gave me beautiful basil and fresh homemade peach jam.  It seems unfair, right?  Her custom is to bless those that bless them.  She told me that once.  I love that.  As an American, we can easily get caught up in the taking.  I love Lan's spirit of giving.  She was so delighted to love me and give to me.  Her gifts are always so sweet, natural and meaningful.  May we be like this sweet lady, eager to give.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow, did you take that picture at the top of the blog? It's beautiful and perfect for the spot.

Wish I had a peach tree in my backyard. What a sweet lady!

love and miss you, jen

Unknown said...

Very sweet, more people should be this way. The world would be a better place..