Friday, August 1, 2008

Easy Dill Pickles

Last night, Scott and I decided to make use of our over abundance of cucumbers.  We have a great recipe for making dill pickles.  It is relatively easy.  We made 12 beautiful jars of pickles.  
Daniel, we knew you'd be proud. :)

Easy Dill Pickles
* 4 dozen pickling cucumbers (about 3 inches in length) ~ we use bigger cucumbers and less of them
* 1 bunch of fresh dill
* 1 quart apple cider vinegar
* 8 cups water
* 1 cup pickling salt
* 12 to 16 garlic cloves, peeled 

Directions:

Wash the cucumbers and remove any stems.  Cover with cold water and refrigerator overnight or for several hours.

Soak jars in hot water for a few minutes.

Pack the cucumbers into pint jars as tightly as possible.  Poke in 2 springs of dill per jar.

Bring the vinegar, water, salt and garlic cloves to a boil.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Fish out the garlic cloves with a slotted spoon and put one in each jar (or to taste) while the brine cools slightly.  

Pour the hot brine into the jars and seal.  Makes 12 pints.








9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Those are beautiful, I love to see filled mason jars~~ I have all of my Grandmas mason jars I think I am gonna try this. I believe I have enough cucumbers. This will be my first canning experience!

Unknown said...

Yum my family loves pickles!! We didnt plant enough cucumbers this year to make pickles but we eat a fresh cucumber about every night out of the garden!

Kathryn E. said...

Your pickles look delicious and the recipe so easy!

Do you just seal them by lidding them or do you can them in boiling water?

And if you don't can, do you store these in the fridge or out in the open? How long are they good for?

Anna Morrison said...

Kathryn~ you just put the lids on right after you pour in the boiling vinegar mixture. We don't boil them after doing this, because they end up sealing because of the hot temperature. I am sure you could if you wanted to.
They can be stored in the fridge or you could put them in the garage on a shelf like us. This winter we were still eating some of the pickles we made two summers ago.

Gretchen said...

I am so tempted to drive down to Durham and try a few of your pickles. How many hours away are we here in St. Louis? :) I love seeing what you are doing! Love ya, sweet friend!

The Presnell's said...

Gosh, you're lucky. I onlt harvested 2 cucumbers so far, ahah! I will plant more for next year and hopefully do this too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna! I pickled okra last year but have never tried pickles. Your recipe seems easy enough so I am going to try it this week. Just picked our half runners so we will be stringing and breaking tonight! :)

Unknown said...

Yay! so many wonderful, simple things happening in the Morrison home. I love that. The pickles look so yummy!
I tried calling you yesterday but I got a "no longer in use" message. Have you changed your number? I want to talk to you about something.

much love,
em

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. My daughter and have tried several different recipes but all require finished product to be stored in fridge and most are for sweet pickles. Thanks so much! Linda