Thursday, September 4, 2008

Itch to Stitch

photo by Janet 
I've got a serious itch to stitch.  It has just come over me within this past month.  I think I have been truly inspired by my creative Tuesday night friends.  

I do not have an agenda, but a true desire to pursue sewing as a hobby, a way to express myself.  I would love to loose myself within it.  Maybe more appropriately, I'd enjoy finding myself within this creative realm.  I also would love to pass on, to Maddie, what I have learned and made.   Sewing is something that my mom has always been able to do.  I have always admired that about her and desired to share that passion along side her.  

This week Scott put a little request in for me on freecycle.  He wrote that we would like a sewing machine that works.  We immediately heard back from a lady within our area.  I went to pick up this old Viking sewing machine this morning.  It is very old and sort of smelly.  It is quite vintage looking though, sort of cute.  I am afraid to touch it right now.  Maybe I will be driven to explore it this evening.  For now, I know that I have at least tried to get my hands on a used machine.  Reusing is best, but does the used machine that I utilize have to have dog hair and scratches all over it with a smokey smell?  

Last night I took the kids to the library to get our weekly load of books.  I checked out three books on sewing for me and two for Maddie.  I don't know who is more excited.  I am reading and learning about what kinds of machines are out there and some background knowledge I need to have.  This gets me very excited about having my own machine.  

3 comments:

TS said...

channel your inner "Mrs. Kincade"!! hee hee

Jennifer said...

Hey Anna,

when we got our first "vintage" we took it to a shop and they did a tune-up for under $45 if I remember correctly. It may be worth it just to start out knowing it is operationally sound.

Also, did she give you a manual? If not, I found one for our machine one time online in PDF. It was very useful. You might be able to do the same if you can't find info on how to use all the functions. I still know very little about ours.

Congrats on the find! Hope to see it soon!

Daniel

laurie said...

I just love this stirring in your soul!! You will so enjoy your time with your new/used machine...I too have my mom's old Viking and it works so well. Call mom if you feel comfortable, I'm sure see would love walking you through any of the how-tos. I can't wait to see your creations. Excited for you!