Monday, September 8, 2008

My Green Machine



As it turns out, I am keeping the Viking sewing machine I picked up last week.  Freecycle rocks.  I was scared to touch it for days.  When Sally came in to town with Dad, she got down and dirty with me and helped me explore MY machine.  Hooray, I have a sewing machine.  It works!  It totally works!  Sally helped me thread it and gave me some super tips.  I had already ordered a copy of the manual as soon as I found out the machine was available.  It is from the late 70's.  They don't make machines like this any more.  This machine is really growing on me and I am beginning to love the character it has.  Laurie, does it look like yours?  Daniel, aren't you proud I got a manual?  :)


So, I had to sew something, just because I could.  I made a bean bag.  Isn't that cute?  Madelyn played with it all throughout the day.  She informed everyone upon awakening this morning that Mommy had actually made the bean bag.  She was thrilled.  I love having a fan like Maddie. 

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the cool color of your new machine. I admit mine is just blah and white. My mom uses her Grandmas which I think is neat. I love to know I have it. You will be able to make throw pillows and curtains anytime you want to "re-decorate" for 1/4 of the price of buying all new. I have sewn cut off blue jeans into shorts, even a skirt or two. Congrats on your cool find, I know you will find many cool things to use it for!!

Jennifer said...

that looks so perfect for you! I'm so happy and can't wait to see how creative you can be. We have an old machine...maybe I should get mine out:) Here are a couple of tips a sewing friend told me -- 1. Make sure you use good thread or at least not the cheapest kind. Cheap thread can really create problems (or so that was what I was told...maybe that's why I had so much trouble:)) 2. You can take the machine into a shop and have it tuned up for a small fee. they can oil it and give it new parts if needed.

Okay, sorry if you've already heard all this. Love you, Jen

TS said...

I like it - very vintage! Do you have any bridesmaid dressing hanging around???

Anonymous said...

It fits. Totally has character & a story & many, many stories yet to be told in your & your daughters life. I am pumped for you! Good to hear your voice today. I'm out having coffee with Joshua. :)

Jennifer said...

Wow! It's beautiful. It looks really solid and durable. And yes, I should have known you were already all over the manual. Congrats on tracking that down. Can't wait to see what marvels come off the sewing table!
And way to go using Freecycle. That is an amazing resource. Post-capitalists unite!

Daniel