Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ever Feel Like This?

I am pretty sure that when Edvard Munch was creating this very famous picture, he wanted his piece to somehow move us and allow us to relate to it.  The kids and I studied Munch and this piece last week.  Little did I know that I would be relating to the emotion within this picture so soon.  This famous piece is called The Scream and that is just what I wanted to do yesterday.  I was impatient, temperamental, and quick to anger.  I looked around me and felt as though I was going to lose it.  The kids were being kids.  The house was being lived in.  The dishes were being dirtied.  The clothes started mounding.  The voices throughout my home were full of life and loud.  Ahh!  Should I expect anything different though?  


When I finally got to the point I wanted to get out of my funk, I gathered my children and told them I had been thinking about The Scream.  I demonstrated how I could do just as the character in the picture was screaming.  I actually let out a very loud scream.  I told them that I just kind of felt that way all the day long.  They laughed.  Actually, they laughed a lot.  Picture this very serious person and then picture them screaming in such a humorous way.  I felt much better after recognizing the state I was in and expressing it to my kids.  The whole day, they knew I was in a mood, it was appropriate to show them that I was acknowledging it instead of just being the meany.  I have been slow to learn that humor can heal unlike anything else.

The day the kids and I studied Munch, they tried their hands at being expressionist.  You can tell the moods they were in just by seeing their work.

This is Julian's picture.


This was Madelyn's work.

Munch used pastels some.  This is what our kids used to create their pictures.

Speaking about The Scream ~Munch said,  "Suddenly the sky turned blood red  . . . I stood there shaking with fear and felt an endless scream passing through nature."  ~  Usborne Book of Art

3 comments:

Chrystal said...

You are such a wonderful mommy. I know your kids appreciate you being real with them! :) Miss you!

TS said...

Yes, this is exactly how I looked painting horizontal stripes in Lane's room. UGH

Unknown said...

excellent job, mom!! The kids art work is fantastic, too.