Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Testing


This week Julian has been tested each morning at a local school. We found out a few months ago that homeschooled children must be tested once every year. It has been interesting for all of us. We are not used to getting up, rushing through breakfast, and everyone fully clothed and out the door by 7:30 or 7:45am.

Julian has done well so far. The experience has been good for him, I think. I was very skeptical about sending him off each morning this week to a group of teachers and students that I do not know. I was, however, comforted by his two best homeschooling buddies being tested as well. By day three, today, I was comfortable with the whole process.

Only two more days of testing and I see how this lifestyle could be desirable. Everyone has to get up and get out of the house in the morning. Everyone is strapped in for several minutes on the way to the school. Child is enthusiastic. Get to drop the child off and then continue with the rest of the agenda for the day~ minus the child.

I have been able to taste what it would be like to take our Julian off to school each morning. I was scared at first but now I am feeling better. He is doing great and has a wonderful attitude about going and being with friends. However, his presence at home is missed. Usually, every morning Julian does his chores and then reads to Kalen and Madelyn while I put Brayden down for a nap. He has been unable to do this with his siblings. We then all have table time together and pray together. We have prayed without JJ. Julian then continues on with his homeschool work. Later on, Madelyn and Julian always play cards and have a snack together when the boys are going down for a nap. This is their special time. This week, Julian has not made time for that. I guess from all that has occurred in the morning with testing and being with the boys, he is worn out and not interested.

One of the main reasons that I want to homeschool my kids is I want to be with them. I want to experience as much of their little lives with them as possible. I like having Julian home. I do not like the hurried life. We are a family that is thriving in this homeschooling environment. I am so thankful that this is not an ordinary week.

I am posting a picture of a normal moment from the Morrison home.

No comments: