Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tuesday's Tantrum

I had it all planned out. I had the canvas bags, my shopping list, my pocketbook with keys, and a big ol' smile. I was ready to take my kids to the grocery store.

We finished a yummy homemade lunch and we were off. Kalen surprised me and buckled himself in and was ready to go. Weather was gorgeous. What a successful mommy day.

As we approached our grocery store, I (as I always do) prepped the kids for what is expected for our time within the store. I also told Kalen that I would be putting Brayden in the backpack and he would ride in the front of the cart. This is the best way, for now, I can keep everyone somewhat controlled in as we shop. He was not bothered at that moment and said, "okay". We walked into the store and I wiped off the cart. Then, I told Kalen he needed to come here because he was going to ride in the cart. Well, he proceeded to whine, then fuss, then stomp some, then . . . oh yes, screaming while crying he said, "no". Whew. This was not a nice moment. My other children were just in silence watching their brother lose total control. What was I to do? It was not fading. He wasn't giving up the fight. I decided to step on out with my children, so we could better deal with the situation. So, now all of the outside world around us was able to witness a real shining moment for my three year old Kalen.

I thought about just canning it all and putting them all in the van and going home. I really didn't know if he would stop wailing. Oh, and my one year old was starting to fuss because his bigger brother was.
Well, to all my readers that do not have four children, it is a huge effort to get everything ready for such an event. Yes, grocery shopping with my children is an event. I didn't want to have to do it all over this afternoon or tomorrow. We needed groceries, I had a list, by golly . . . I was going SHOPPING!!!!

I informed my son that we were going to continue shopping and that was that. Of course, I had been and continued to tell him his behavior was totally inappropriate and his DADDY would help me to deal with this and give consequences. He had calmed down enough so I could enter the store again. We had given all shoppers and employees a real show.

I did get everything on my list. He did stop crying, that is until later I informed him it was naptime. Whew. Tantrums are no fun. It is a true test and challenge for me to love the current unlovable. As my heart was in my throat and my anger was apparent, I actually was able to see the tiny little boy that was there before me that the Lord had gifted to me. I thought I had the entire experience planned out and it would be a 'perfect' day out. Little did I know the curve ball that would be thrown to me. Ahhh . . . the adventures of parenting.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I like you.

Chrystal said...

Anna, you are such an amazingly patient mommy. I have so much to learn from you!!