Monday, April 13, 2009

Garden Growth

Currently, this is our garden.  The only thing we are harvesting now are chives.  This spring I decided to split the garden into sections.  I did this for a couple of reasons.  One reason is I wanted to be able to walk through our garden without stepping on something and give the kids a path as well.  I also wanted to make these eight sections so next spring we can rotate around and plant veggies in places that they were not just planted in the season before.  I read that in my handy dandy gardening book.  Kalen and I put the bricks down the center.  When we moved in, we found a lot of bricks in our crawl space under our house. I thought it would be pleasing to the eye and yet another path for the kids.  

Come take a look at what we have growing.

Our lettuce is growing nicely.  This is romaine.  Looks like I need to get rid of that stray grass growing.  

Here you can see, from bottom to top, kale, red leaf lettuce and chard.  These were all started with plants we bought instead of seeds.


Just beyond the chard we have four rows of four different kinds of potatoes.  This is our first try at planting potatoes in our garden.  If you are a faithful homegrown sunshine reader, you'll remember we have harvested potatoes before, but that was from our compost.  :)

In this section, I have four rows of turnips and four rows of radishes coming up nicely from seed.  Beside this section, up and to the right, I have two sections of other veggies I have started from seed.  I planted kale, spinach and chard.  We shall see how they do.  They are coming up, just slowly.  

Here are our onions and garlic.  We planted these last fall.  The green part you see has to turn yellow and fall to the ground before they are ready.

I planted onion bulbs and they have done well.  The onions are what you see at the bottom of this photo.  My chives are there on the left side in a big bunch.  Then, around the cages Scott built and put up, you can see our snow pea plants climbing.  We grew those from seed and they have really done well.  We tried those last year, but planted them when it was already very warm.  They like it cooler.
  
Here's a better picture.  Isn't it neat how they cling to the cage. I think it is so amazing and beautiful.

My pride and I have a hard time coming out with this.  Remember all those seeds I planted and grew indoors?  I only had about 20 or so of those to turn out.  Here they are waiting to be planted.  I wish they had all done this well.  I have learned a lot about growing from seed and starting indoors.  Making mistakes and learning from them is necessary, but can be very disappointing.  Pictured here is lettuce, brussels sprouts, and parsley.

We have two whole sections that we have left unused.  These areas are for our tomatoes.  We will plant those in May, I think.  So, our garden consists of colder weather veggies.  We hoped we have planned it all out well.  When the colder weather veggies phase out, we will plant cucumbers, peppers, ocra and whatever else we find at the farmer's market this summer we want to plant.

3 comments:

Mama Teaching 3 said...

What a healthy young garden. :) The children and I had one last year and will be putting one in again this year. :) I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labors. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey yall.
The garden looks great. Thanks for taking the time to post. It's encouraging to see. Yum yum.
Daniel

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting to see how the garden was coming along. Do you have any trouble with the lettuce being bitter? I only tried it one year because of this problem. I have always wanted to try seeds indoors. Keep up the great work!
Love,
Aunt Laura