Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pickin' Strawberries

When we visited the farmer's market last weekend, we visited our strawberry farmers from Lyon Farms.   They told us that we could come on out and pick berries.  The kids and I did well today getting things checked off our list.  Breakfast- check.  Workout- check.  Homeschooling-check.  Hang clothes on the line- check.  Lunch- check.  Unload and reload dishwasher-check.  Pick-up- check.  It was gorgeous out and it just kind of came to me that we could go pick strawberries.  I ran to the dining room and yelled, "who wants to go pick strawberries?"  They all squealed and in unison yelled "I DO!"

The farm is out in the country about 25 miles from home.  It is a nice break from city life here in Durham.  The strawberry fields were full, gorgeous and green.  We just went at it and had so much fun.  After we paid for our berries, we went around to a very wooded area and a pond.  The kids were looking for frogs or toads.  We caught some last June when we were there picking blackberries.  Julian caught a frog and he let everyone hold it.  We thought it best that the little guy stayed there at the farm.  

We returned with five containers of strawberries.  We'll have some for breakfast and then make jam with the rest.  Homemade jam is the best.  I hope to go back in May and pick some more strawberries.  I love having shared this rich and happy experience with my kids today.  I hope they will hold this memory close.  










3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ummm those look so good! Love fresh strawberries. Please post your jam recipe.

Mama Teaching 3 said...

YUMMY! I so want to go berry picking. Be sure to post the jam photos and a recipe if you want to share. ;)

The little froggie is as cute as any froggie! :) Remy would have loved him.

Unknown said...

We are taking the girls next weekend to pick strawberries and I want to make some jam as well.. be sure to post your recipie!!