Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Durham Bulls




The Morrison family went on out to the Durham Bulls stadium last night for a ballgame. This was stepping out of the box for me. The game started at 7pm, which is usually Brayden's bedtime. I know, loosen up Anna. Well, we decided to try it and it was as good as it could get.

The kids were enrolled in the Durham Library reading program. Durham Bulls tickets were awarded to them after they read or were read to for 10 straight days. Of course, for this family, that was no problem and the kids marveled at their tickets for a real baseball game. When we arrived at the park, we were waiting to buy Scott and I a ticket when up walks a man and asked us if we wanted some free tickets. We exhaled, let down our shoulders and took this sweet offering. What a treat! A free night out on the town.

The stadium is real nice. The weather was fine, actually very pleasant after awhile. There was a very large crowd, lots of families. Julian nudged me as we took our seats and said, "this is a loud place, Mom." We don't get out much I guess. Hee hee.

Since we are vegan and quite particular about food, we brought popcorn and ginger ale. It was a real thrill for my kids to pop open a can of fizzing ginger ale and munch on some crunchy popcorn. I imagine, half the fun for most of the crowd is partaking in the funnel cakes, hot dogs, nachos, and cotton candy. Kalen turned to me as he saw the vendor carrying the cotton candy high in the air. He said, "Mom, we don't eat those, they are just fun to look at." I said, "That's right, buddy."

The Bulls were playing the Charlotte Knights. It was a good game as long as we were there, until the 5th Inning. It was 1 to 1 when we left. Of course, Scott could tell you more info about all the stats.

We all had a lot of fun. The kids learned a lot about baseball. Before we went, a couple of them thought we were going to a show. Now, that that is cleared up, I believe we may attempt to go to another game. Look at us, living it up in Durham.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay! that's great! We loved going to that stadium when we lived in Cary. It's s such a great time for families. You know it was designed by the same person that designed Camden yard in Baltimore, MD. (At least I think that's the one. I'll have to ask Gavin and confirm:))

And Kalen is way too cute:) I love his comment.

...looking forward to catching some games with you soon:)