Monday, August 13, 2007

Grandma

Today, I was able to travel to the hospital where my grandma has been admitted since last Friday night. She is recovering a little but we keep getting more bad news concerning her health. The day was tough as we were visited by several doctors that were telling us more details about areas in grandma's body that are not working properly. She has a small tumor that can be removed in her ear, she has high blood pressure as well as high cholesterol, arteries clogged, lung problems, heart irregularities, and is dealing with the aftermath of several minor strokes.

I didn't recognize grandma at first. I was coming down the hall and they were wheeling her in her room from getting tests done. She wasn't herself. She has been through a lot. However, as soon as she saw me and spoke, I knew she still had her mind and she knew I was there to love on her. She said, "Annie . . . Annie . . ." and went on about how awful she looked. She then asked about all the children and Scott.

Grandma is requiring a lot of care. My mom, Annette and my uncle, Bob, have hardly left her side. They have been so loyal and given all they've got to care for grandma thus far. They all are sleep deprived and emotionally drained and yet, they are still able to roll with the punches and care for this sweet and fragile lady.

I enjoyed holding on to grandma for many hours today. She made me laugh and she made me cry. I breathed deeply as she would tell me how much she loves me and my family.

If you know me well at all, you know that I think a whole lot of my grandma. We have a sacred bond and a sweet history together. She is a very special lady with a big heart. Her name is Virginia and I would appreciate your prayers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Father, Healer, Abba, Comforter, You are the only one who can give us a peace that passes all understanding. Please pour out that peace now, over your precious children, Virginia, Anna, Anna's mom, Annette, Bob, and the rest of the family. As much as they love her, you love her even more. Holy Spirit, please fill her room with your love and rest. Thank you for the priceless gift she is to Anna and her family. Bless her body; be gracious, Lord.