Monday, August 27, 2007

Socialization









It is common for homeschoolers to hear this question frequently, "But aren't you afraid they won't get enough socialization?" I have had a comment or two thrown my way from time to time. There seems to be an overall suggestion that regular exposure to peers of the same age and grade is necessary for proper development. I believe there is pressure even for homeschooling families to be overscheduled and have their children with other children their ages for huge blocks of time each week. Heaven forbid children spend more time with their family.

I remember reading something by Sally Clarkson concerning this same subject. I did find the quote and I want to share it.

"Those who say that home-schooled children aren't in the "real world" just aren't thinking straight. School is the false world. Never in the rest of their lives will your children be forced to live and interact with 20-30 age-mates in a sterile, isolated classroom totally segregated from real living experiences. The real "real world" of home, family, work and ministry prepares children to work with people of all ages in actual situations that they will experience as adults. School can't even counterfeit that kind of life experience."

Interesting isn't it. Those are bold words. Could you bare to agree with it at all?

Hold your horses, I am not saying that any of you who have your children in school are bad. I am responding to a question that is often raised to homeschoolers like myself. Of course, I love the quote. I see, each day, ways that my little students are able to enjoy and learn from the environment that they have been provided. Look at their ages. 1, 3, 5 and 7. Talk about learning social skills! Just today, I spoke with Julian about responding to his brother Kalen. He was frustrated with Kalen continuing to give him Playmobil pieces that he didn't need. He had been snapping at Kalen without thinking about his brother's feelings, age and position within the given situation. I saw a light go on, as I spoke with Julian about taking things that are being given and just saying "thank you." I told him, whether you need those pieces or not, Kalen thought he was helping you.

Kalen is so interested in helping others. He stood by me the entire time I was preparing supper this afternoon. Just before, he had been playing with all of his siblings. They were pretending to make food in the living room with the play pots and pans and such. Not only is he (they) getting time spent playing with others, he is getting real life experience. Look who he is learning it from, an adult. Shouldn't we, ideally, use adults (parents) as the main source of properly socializing a child.

Man, I could go on and on.

No comments: