Friday, August 3, 2007

Patience



I admire the Man in the Yellow Hat. Ever watch the Curious George cartoon on PBS? Or maybe you saw the movie. I am continually amazed at this man's patience. As you would think, a monkey can get himself into quite a fix. George is indeed curious. He is prone to messes and disasters. However naughty the monkey has been, the Man in the Yellow Hat conjures up enough patience to deal with the situation at hand. He doesn't seem bothered or irritated. He actually appears to expect that George will get into these fixes.

Today, I have been impatient even angry. I have been down right irritated. Oh to let things that my children do, just roll off my back and pour on love. They are kids! They are going to make messes, bicker, be naughty, test me and each other, and whine and complain. I should expect that. They are not perfect. They are not grown.

Sometimes I think of the Man in the Yellow Hat and lower my shoulders a bit. I think I have too many expectations of my children sometimes. I want them to display maturity and perfection at times When I step back and think about my behavior towards them sometimes, I am ashamed. They are children. Children that deserve the benefit of the doubt. Children that deserve love and nurturing. Children that must be reminded. First time obedience is maybe not something I should expect. I need to consider their age, their situation, and my mood.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Anna! Wow! What a wonderful message to leave for your readers, and how true too. I too find my expectation for my children a little higher than it should be at times and in certain circumstances. Thank you for allowing the Lord to use you as a gentle reminder to the rest of us. :)

In Christ,
Angela

laurie said...

Oh girl, thanks for the reminder! Unlike yesterday, I carried Griffin back to his room 10 times today during nap...the newness of the big bed...You are an amazing mom..one admired!