Thursday, October 25, 2007

Carrying Him


Tonight, Kalen fell asleep on Scott after his bedtime reading time. Scott had turned on the World Series and Kalen was out. I just stood and stared. It was the sweetest sight. I am not a very free spirited mother. Our kiddos are on a good schedule and go to their bed, to sleep, each night at a reasonable time. Rarely do we turn on the TV with our children present, this was a special and rare thing.

When it was time to scoop him up and take him to his bed, Scott asked me to. As I was reaching for him, I couldn't remember the last time I held him when he was asleep. Oh how it just filled me with so much joy. To carry this little one all the way upstairs was so sweet. I walked slowly.

I remember my Daddy carrying me to bed, a lot, as a child. I can still hear his knees and/or ankles popping, as they would when he would climb up the stairs with me. I remember in those sleepy moments feeling a deep sense of love and care from my father.

Tonight, I am reminded of the need for children to break from the normal routine of the day and relax, let down and be nurtured and loved by their parents.

1 comment:

TS said...

HOW SWEET! This is how Eli and I wind down each night. The other night I came back to the den, and David said, "Won't you be glad when you can tell him to go to bed?" I said, NO! I love that time with Eli.