Monday, October 22, 2007

An Opportunity

Today, I took the kids to the main library in downtown Durham. We had three bags full of books to return and the kids were eager to get some new ones. As we arrived the kids filed out of the van and ran over to some nearby trees as I put Brayden in a stroller and loaded the three bags on myself. I was walking towards my kids, in hopes of getting some help from Julian, when I was approached by two people. One was a man and one was a woman, both African American. They asked me if I knew where Murray Ave was. I said, "No, I don't, I am knew to town." The man proceeded to tell me that he had to pick up his son on Murray and didn't have a way to get there. The woman chimed in and said they didn't have money for a bus. She asked me if I could give them some money for a bus. Without hesitation I smiled and said, "No, I am sorry, I can't help you out." My quick response was because I felt like, isn't it obvious I have my hands full here? And, are they telling the truth or do they just want some money? They turned and walked away towards the library.

Little background for you, this library is downtown and there are usually a number of folks sitting around the courtyard outside. These people usually look like they could indeed be homeless. I am not frightened by it anymore. I smile and speak to most of those that choose to look me in the eye.

So, after I said no to the two people that had asked for help, I felt convicted. In that moment, I had so many thoughts about generosity, homelessness, sensing dishonesty, previous conversations with Scott about racism, and being judgemental. I decided to hunt for some cash that I had stored in my wallet for emergencies and such. Why should I doubt this man's story? I only had $10, so I gave them $5. They said, "Thank you," and I walked towards my children.

As we entered the building, I pulled my kids aside and told them what happened. Madelyn seemed most interested. They all nodded and smiled and we were off to pick out books.

At supper tonight, I shared this story with Scott. He was kind and listened with a sweet look of endearment. I told him that I didn't honestly know if that was the right thing to do or not. Madelyn, the only child remaining at the table, said, "I think you made the right decision." I asked her why. She said, "Because, I think that is what God would want us to do." I smiled, the tears started forming and I looked to Scott. Indeed, it was the right decision.

No comments: