Thursday, March 20, 2008

Crunchy Cons Excerpt

I am reading a chapter in a book called Crunchy Cons by Rod Dreher.  The chapter is entitled Education,  my husband thought I would enjoy it.  It speaks mostly of homeschooling.  He writes:

The ultimate point of all education is not to accumulate facts and technique, but to become virtuous - that is to discover how the knowledge we acquire ought to be applied.  This is the difference between knowledge and wisdom.  We are called to be wise.

I like this.  I think his words and thoughts on this are true.  It makes me think of the book of Proverbs.  Although I want to educate my children about a number of things, mostly, I want to give them skills in order to put the needs of others first and treat them properly.  I want their ways to be pure, nice and decent; comfortably exuding self-restraint and kindness.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for this shot of encouragement, Anna. I love this explanation of virtue. ..good stuff.

Gretchen said...

Anna, your kids are so blessed to have such an amazing teacher! You are sucha a blessing!

Gretchen said...

Anna, Your children have such an amazing teacher! You are a blessing to so many. Love ya!