Monday, March 3, 2008

Our Garden











Yesterday, we planted broccoli, three different kinds of lettuce, and collard greens.  The kids and I also planted several kale seeds.  Scott was the main gardener, of course.  The kids and I were not feeling our best.  We all got our hands dirty.  It felt good to be outside, working together.


Our plan is to plant more vegetables in April or May.  Scott extended our garden area, so we now have a huge rectangular section, instead of a smaller square.  I think Scott and I both want to live more simply in a lot of ways.  Eating homegrown food is definitely a start.  We have a lot to learn in the area of gardening, but we are good learners.

After Scott finished putting all the plants in the ground, we watered them.  The cool thing is that we watered them with rain water that we had collected in our rain barrel.  It is the neatest thing to reuse water in this way.  
  

5 comments:

FreeK said...

Glad to see you feeling better. Its hard to have everyone sick, I know. I've got to tell you your garden, grass, and sunshine make me long for the south and spring. We are still covered in snow here. But there is melting and the sounds of birds, it can't stay forever. Hope you all are on the mend!

Unknown said...

Oh, what a wonderful sight! That is quite a nice garden. It brings back so many memories of helping my great grandmother with her garden, as a child.

You make "not feeling well" look GOOD, girl!! :) You're such a cutie. I love you. You inspire me.

Jennifer said...

Yeah! Very exciting. Glad you all got the garden in the ground. Keep us posted on its development. Looks great! Hope everyone is getting better.

Daniel

Kallie said...

Glad to see you getting better! Your garden looks like it is going to be great! That is very exciting and a fun project for the whole family.

Jennifer said...

Hey,
I was going to ask whether you all were saving those plastic plant holders. They are worth saving if you decide to seed in the future. That's what we are using and we wish we had more now. Just a thought.
daniel