Monday, July 7, 2008

"Me Do It, Mommy."

This afternoon I was prepping our meal for this evening when I was greeted by a helpful little man.  "Me do it, Mommy," Brayden said.  He saw me shucking corn and wanted to join in the fun.  He also saw his big brother, Kalen, rooting around trying to help as well.  I gave them both an ear of corn and let them go at it.  They were quite successful.  

As I looked over them, I thought, I have these opportunities all throughout the day.  I have the chance to allow for my children to take on a challenge, a lofty goal.  It is tempting to shut down the opportunity and seek the easiest way to just get it done.  Putting my hands by my sides and just saying, "Okay, you try," is going to lead to a more meaningful learning experience.  

I want my children to be at ease with these daily tasks that are doable.  I want them to be accessible to learning about simple things that lead to a greater knowledge and life skills.  Shucking corn may not seem like a big deal. To a little guy, it is huge to uncover that beautiful corn on the cob!  This sense of autonomy and drive is what I want our children to seek.  I must be willing to say "okay" and go with the moment.  



I think I can, I think I can, I think I can . . .




He seemed to say, "Is this right, Mommy?"


Whew!  Sweet success!

5 comments:

Jen said...

You are so right about making the time for our children to help. I often just want to hurry and get things done. Job helped me string and snap green beans today. He was so proud of his accomplishment.

Kristen said...

This is such an encouraging post Anna, I love it. And little Braden...my goodness, he is a little version of you, how sweet.

Gretchen said...

Way to go, Brayden! And - Way to go, Anna! It is such a joy to see how much thought you put into such "simple" moments because you see the greater good in each of them. It is fun to watch your family grow together! I love your sweet little crew!

TS said...

I so agree with you. This is something I am learning daily.

Unknown said...

you are absolutely right, Anna! I still remember shucking corn with my sister, mom, grandmother, and great grandmother. Not only is a gratifying experience, it's also great family time!

I've been gone since last Thursday - I've missed checking in on you guys and seeing what you're up to! I love you, sweet friend.