Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Pilgrimage of Pain and Hope

I went on a pilgrimage this weekend. I am pictured above with my fellow pilgrims.  We have been been gathering together on Sunday mornings at Blacknall Memorial Presbyterian Church to discuss issues related to segregation that continue to be prevalent in Durham.  The readings and conversations that led up to our pilgrimage were deep and complex, covering topics like suffering, lament and reconciliation.  Our leaders organized a weekend pilgrimage through different parts of Durham in which we met with people of different ethnic backgrounds and cultures.  As we started our journey I didn't really know what to expect.  I knew I would be put into situations that I probably wasn't used to being in.  I was excited and nervous.  I was hopeful and yet I knew that I would get glimpses into lives that would make me feel restless and weary.  


On Friday night we travelled into East Durham to visit with a special lady.
This lady in gold is named Ann Atwater.  She was a key activist during the civil rights movement during the 60s here in Durham.  You can listen to her voice on an audio slide show if you click on this link.  We went to her home on Friday evening.  She welcomed all 28 of us with open arms.  She told us several stories of the trials of her life and of the black community.  She struck me as woman of fearless determination, faith and hope.
 
On Saturday we went to meet with a woman named Marcia Owen.  She is an amazing white woman that has actively been working hard at reconciliation and fighting the injustice of violence.  She is the current outreach coordinator for the Religious Coalition for a Non-violent Durham.  She is a Durham native, graduate of Duke University, and an active volunteer within the Coalition since joining in 1993.  To read about what her group is all about follow this link.  I appreciate the work she is doing.  She is truly living out of the box and walking alongside victims and victims' families to offer comfort and join with them to create a better community.  She invited three people to share their stories with us: a former alcoholic mother that lost her son to street violence; a former drug dealer that has been to prison three times but is trying to rise above; and a principal of an elementary school that spoke of the needs of her poverty-stricken students.  I will never forget the stories that they shared.  Talking with them and reaching out and touching them was so powerful.  

Later our pilgrimage led us to another group of people in northern Durham.
This is Roberto.  He and his church welcomed us on Saturday for lunch and we were able to listen to a panel of Latino folks tell their stories.  They spoke about coming to the States, the sacrifices made, the heartache, and the lack of acceptance.  We were able to use translators and even learn some Spanish in order to interact with one another.  I would say half of their group could speak English as well as Spanish.  Their stories were so heartfelt.  They fed us and were so hospitable.  
The Latino group led us in some songs.  I must say, I have never been moved so deeply within a time of praise and worship.  At one point, half of us were singing in Spanish and half of us were singing in English.  We were both worshiping the same amazing God and the sound was so beautiful.  This was probably the highlight of the pilgrimage for me.  

Saturday evening we went to a historically black church located in Walltown, a particular part of Durham.  St. John's Baptist Church was so sweet and welcoming.  We had dinner with them, chatted and split up for the night.  
This is my group that I stayed overnight with.  We were able to stay at a gorgeous home in Raleigh owned by Phil Ford.  That is the Phil Ford that played college basketball for Carolina in the 70s, then later played in the NBA.  The Fords were not in town.  They go to St. John's and graciously let us stay at their home.  Needless to say, it was a very nice sleepover experience! On the bottom, from left to right are Melissa, Alex, Susan, and Warren.  Then up top in the photo are Scott, Timothy, Stacy, Alexa and Pete.  

Sunday we worshipped with St. John's.  Jonathon Wilson Hartgrove spoke.  He and his wife were the first white people to become active members at this historically black church.  Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove is a member of Rutba House, an intentional community in Durham that mentors neighborhood kids, organizes community celebrations, and offers hospitality to all who seek it.  It's part of a movement called the new monasticism.  He has written a couple books.  I thoroughly enjoyed worshiping with this congregation on Sunday.  The natural love and praise that was being communicated flowed so easily from the members of that church. I was moved deeply.  I hope to return.  

I think that is the point.  I want to return.  I want to open my life up to people that don't have the same color skin as I do or maybe even don't speak my language.  I want to laugh with them, cry with them, and hear their stories.  I have a greater desire to share life with them.   I am tired of the barriers that seem to keep me from interacting and embracing people the way Jesus would have me to.  

2 comments:

FreeK said...

Very cool! It is a shame that churches remain the most segregated place in the US. Will you and Scott be visiting these churches more? How do you think God will use this in your lives and ministry?

Unknown said...

What an amazing experience! I'm so encouraged!! I can't wait to hear more.
all my love,
em