Friday, March 13, 2009

The "What Ifs" and Living Books


With the economy in turmoil I have been thinking lately about the "what ifs."  What if I have to get a job and the kids need to be put in school?  Am I alright with that?  What I know today is that I am thankful for what our family is doing now.  Having my children home with me daily is an amazing gift that I never regret.  Teaching and training them is something that will remain regardless.  I will continue to connect with them and love them through whatever arises. 

This past week I decided to read more to them.  I was able to go to another Sally Clarkson conference in Cary last weekend and was encouraged, yet again, by her and her family's ideals.  Sarah, Sally's daughter, spoke about the importance of literature in our children's lives.  Although I already knew that, it was an important reminder.  So each morning this past week, I made it a point to make a stack of books on the coffee table and read them all each day.  We are a reading family, but sometimes we can get distracted and choose to do more workbooks or projects than enjoying whole or living books.  What are living books, you ask?  The following excerpt is from an article written by Karen Andreola, an author and huge fan of British educator Charlotte Mason.  

Living Books Instead of Textbooks

Many who have heard of Miss Mason's term -- "living books" -- have benefited from using whole books and firsthand sources rather than relying on dry-as-dust textbooks. If you are able to access a wide range of living books, you will be surprised how much your children will improve in all traditional school subject areas!

Living books, often called "classics," are the kind of books that joyfully enliven the imagination of a child. They are written by individuals -- not committees -- and display imagination, originality, and the "human touch." Living books do not talk down to a child's level or omit odd and interesting vocabulary. Children take to living books more than textbooks for these reasons; because such books are not crammed with facts and information at the expense of human emotion.

How can you recognize a living book? First examine the book yourself to see if it promotes noble thoughts rather than a jaded or misleading outlook on life. If so, simply give the book, whether fiction or non-fiction, the one-page test. Start reading it aloud and look for signs of it opening the doors of the child's mind. You will know it's a living book when you hear them beg, "Read me more!"

A homeschool cannot function without enthusiasm and curiosity. Enthusiasm enables the child to educate himself. Curiosity makes the child want to learn!

A homeschool that runs on the fuel of a child's wonder and imagination, rather than the artificial stimulus of grades, prizes, and happy-face stickers, is on the right track.


I leaned on Mason's methods this past week.  It was nice.  I enjoyed books with my children, we talked about them, and I had my kids narrate the stories back to me.  It is a splendid way to enrich our homeschool.  We have many subjects to intermingle into our day.  When I think about all that I want to explore with my children the list seems endless.  I have learned, though, that the biggest priority for each day should be to snuggle up and enjoy good literature with my children.  

Living books create a sense of wonder and character in children and can expose them to situations that can enhance their sense of judgement.  Living books introduce characters that can promote goodness and set a model for our children.  Then there is the villain that can represent a lack of good judgement and utter selfishness.  Good literature can implant vocabulary that I would never dream of deliberately teaching my kids.  Imagination grows with each exposure.  Making the time to sit with my children, touching them and snuggling with them and enjoying good books, has nourished our homeschool as well as our lives.

4 comments:

The Leary Family said...

What a wonderful, honest post. I enjoyed reading this. I really related!!! We tried to read more this week too. Instead of leaving our reading to last (while putting math and spelling first), I decided to spend our first hour reading. It has made a big difference! I also threw away all of my check boxes. Sally's conference was so good for me...in such a different way than the first one. Hope you had a good weekend.

Laura said...

love the reminder to enjoy the gift of homeschooling while we can, but not hold onto it so tightly that we lose all perspective and trust. and thanks for the encouragement about living books--a good reminder to just enjoy reading!

laurie said...

sounds like you had some sweet take-aways from the conference. i'm so glad you are refreshing yourself in this way. you are an encouragement to many....love you and hope your pilgrimage weekend goes well. can't wait to hear about it!

Kallie said...

I lean towards the Charlotte Mason philosophy and I LOVE that our homeschool revolves around living books. It is truly enriching and it is building a great love of learning in our home. I really wanted to go to that Sally Clarkson conference, but I would have had to bring the new baby and I wasn't sure how that would go...I'm glad you enjoyed it- I love her books.