Friday, May 1, 2009

Cooking Class

One of the beauties of keeping my children home with me and homeschooling them is being able to introduce whatever I want to them.  I have started up a cooking class with my little pupils.  They are in and out of the kitchen with their hands in this and that everyday.  Cooking class is a little more instructional and planned. I love to cook.  It is such a treat to be able to pass that passion along to my kids.  Sometimes, I don't have enough patience to roll with the punches, but for the most part, I really enjoy doing it with them.  They deserve to have their hands in what I am making in our kitchen.  I think it is important to involve my kids in what I am doing.  Hopefully, one day, they will help me make meals and we can have a rotation.  When they leave one day :( I want to have passed on many things from our time together in our kitchen.  I have heard many times that the heart of a home is the kitchen.  I understand that.  

This week's cooking class started off talking about what we learned last week.  The kids remembered that we have certain things we have to do before we can actually cook.  Number one is washing our hands.  Number two is we have to get out what we need, like a recipe, ingredients, pots, pans, utensils, and measuring cups.  I decided to let them make a whole meal with me.  I know, quite adventurous.  Well, I had time, I had the desire and I had four very eager kids.  We prepared a salad, lasagna, and brownies.  Our cooking class took place mid-day and we were making out meal to have after soccer practice.  They all were very attentive.  I had to give Brady a few snacks along the way to keep him with us.  I was very pleased with how it all played out.  Of course, children love measuring, stirring and, yes, cutting.  They were all very eager to take part in each part of the process.  It took about two hours, but we were all so proud when we were done.  

Here they are working on the salad.  I didn't do anything except get the bowl out!

Madelyn was super excited about tossing the salad.  :)

Voila!  A fresh salad with many ingredients just hand picked from the garden.

The kids are starting the Tofu Lasagna in this photo.  

Brayden mashes the tofu.

Kalen measures the lemon juice.

Brady working on the layers.

Kalen loving spreading out the sauce.

Julian putting the noodles on.

Kalen getting a creative with some extra noodles.

Not sure how I got this photo, but it is my favorite.  He was working so hard on something and the apron is so tiny.

Yum!  Lasagna all done! Photo by Kalen.

I thought it was only fitting that after the brownies were made, they got one fresh out of the oven.  Oh yeah, really it was that I didn't want them to have brownies right after supper, right before bed.  :)  Smart mommy/teacher.


1 comment:

The Presnell's said...

That's so sweet and if they get the hang of it, you might be able to relax and they will start making your dinner! :)