Monday, December 24, 2007

Moving


On this Christmas Eve, I sit here by the laundry that I have been folding, as It's A Wonderful Life is airing on our television. Scott is making us a special tofu scramble treat and all of our children are all tucked away, most likely dreaming of baby Jesus and the mysterious arrival of Santa.

Earlier this evening we attended our Christmas Eve Candlelight service. As we entered the doors we were greeted and asked to be a part of the Advent candle lighting and scripture reading. We were delighted to be a part of the service in this way. It was an emotional feeling as we stood from our pew and walked together, all six of us, to the front of the church to light the candles. What a feeling of unity as we stood before this group of people, as a family, leading them through this ritual.

With each passing day, I am impacted by many things that come my way, mostly through motherhood and marriage. Few things have moved me more than glancing over beside me tonight to see our first born son holding a candle in the dark room that we were sitting in. His face lit up as he sang the words to Silent Night. It made me instantly tear up. His posture and obvious delight were breathtaking. I leaned over and told Julian something that I overheard Scott say to Madelyn, "The candle is giving light, just as Christ is the light of the world." He leaned over with a grin and said, "I know, Mom."

Merry Christmas, again and again. Enjoy the Light.

No comments: