Friday, December 14, 2007

TV Poll


Thank you to all who voted! It doesn't surprise me that 60% of the 23 that voted like watching the television with moderation. Those 17% of you that were super honest about not wanting to live without it, how bold of you! The other 17% that despise it and hardly ever watch it, I can speculate the many reasons why you despise it. To my voter that doesn't have one, I can only imagine how creative and productive you must be.

Our family does have a television. We only have basic cable and Tivo the shows we want to watch. We don't allow our children or ourselves to be entertained by advertisements/commercials. Gotta love Tivo. We are purposeful about what we watch and believe that it is a treat, but not a necessity. We don't surf. I'll say it again, we are purposeful about what we watch.

Our family really likes to watch movies together. Scott and I watched one last night and the kids are actually having movie night tonight (even though it is usually on Thursday nights). Maybe I can share a post later on the movies that we allow them to watch or their favorites.

I don't think parking my kids in front of the TV is a good think to do several times throughout the day. Nor do I think that having the television on all of the waking hours of the day benefits anyone. We allow the children to watch one thing, 30 minute show, in the morning and one in the afternoon as well. The afternoon show may be a little bit longer at times if it is a nature show, from PBS or Netflix, that the kids are really into.

So, that is that. You may not have wanted to know all that, but there it is. I have been asked several times how much TV our family watches. I do not think it should be a taboo topic at all.

2 comments:

Kallie said...

I really liked the TV Poll. I would be interested to find out how your percentages would compare to a national poll.

Unknown said...

I completely agree. Coming from a home where the TV was on much of the time, it is refreshing in our home to only have the TV on in strategic moments. I love using the TV as a resource for entertainment, within reason, and especially as a source of education. There are so many wonderful things on these days.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts:) I always love to hear what you have to say.