Sunday, May 17, 2009

How is my garden growing, you ask?

Wonderfully!  I couldn't be more pleased with our garden.  It has been so much fun harvesting so many tasty vegetables.  Here are a few pictures of our garden recently.

I have never grown spinach.  I have always wanted to. It is gorgeous and so good.


Here is some parsley that just keeps shooting up right next to some romaine lettuce.


More lettuce.  

I have really enjoyed our rainbow chard.  This is before I cut them off to eat for supper that night.

This is a little bit of cilantro that has exploded recently.  So flavorful and super on salads and sandwiches.


The bright green plants you see amongst the lettuces are actually volunteer tomato plants.  This is where our tomatoes were grown last year and we have had several to come back right there.  


This is our unplanned pumpkin plant growing from our compost.  :)


We went to the thrift store this past weekend and found this wonderful outdoor furniture.  After a lot of thinking it over, we decided to go for it.  It is perfect for our deck. 

Recent picture of our potatoes.


A glimpse at how our tomato plants are growing.


Our rain barrels are great for watering our garden.  


My little garden helper, Kalen, with a bunch of worms.


turnip


Harvested chard, lettuce, snow peas and spinach.


Different harvest, chard and turnips.


Did you know you can eat the green part of turnips?  


Rainbow chard just before cooking.


My first pot of of homegrown turnip greens!  They were amazing, just like I remember from my childhood.  

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your garden looks great! We had our first salad out of our garden last night. It was delic!!

TS said...

Those turnip greens make me so hungry right now!

Jules said...

Your pictures are beautiful! All those bright, colorful veggies. Aren't you proud? Now, please share some of your turnip and chard recipes. I have no idea what to do with these! :)

Anonymous said...

Garden's marvelous. Killer.
I'm confused though. You like turnip greens? Really? If you develop a nice way to cook them post it. We aren't growing them this year but it was because we couldn't figure out how to enjoy them. I'd love to know what you all are doing with them.
I see Scott is enjoying the back porch. Nice spot for some reflective work with the occasional stroll through the garden...just a short break of course.
Miss yall,
Daniel

The Presnell's said...

Looks great Anna! We're beginning to see growth, but that's it. Come to my house and help us!!! We need your expertise.

Anonymous said...

Your garden and harvest is amazing! Care to share any recipes?