Thursday, May 28, 2009

Secret Revealed

I've been keeping something from my loyal blog readers.  I can hold it in no longer.  Scott and I began foster care and adoption classes last week.  In North Carolina, MAPP (Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting) classes are required when you are interested in starting the process of fostering or adopting foster children within the system.  As many of you know, foster children and adoption have tugged at my heart for years.  I did a lot of research for a couple of months and found that adopting from another country, or even domestically, would cost more than we have right now.  I read an article in the paper around Christmas time.  It was short and sweet.  Basically, the writer was encouraging people in our area to consider adopting children from Durham that need homes.  My heart melted and I began gathering information from our Department of Social Services.  There is minimal cost when adopting from the system.  Currently there are over 230 kids in Durham in the foster care system.  After talking with Scott about this for many months, we decided to sign up for these classes to take a step forward and see how devoted we truly are to this.  Whether we choose to foster a child or adopt one, the process is very complicated and warrants a lot of thought and consideration.  So far, the classes have been wonderful.  Our instructors/social workers present information about the process of fostering children and adopting them in a way that I can truly understand, and there is always much to grapple with.  Our classes last for 5 weeks.  We go twice a week.  In planning for this, I asked many of our Durham friends to help out with watching our four kids.  We have been so blessed to have them come to our home on Tuesdays and Thursdays to love on our children.  


Scott and I just returned from our fourth class.  My head and heart are full.  I am grateful for social workers.  I am thankful for their role in our city.  They are special people that do a tough job.  I really enjoy our classes.  They are full of everything that I wanted them to be.  The information that we are learning is challenging me.  I am extremely thankful for Scott and his willingness to support me in pursuing foster care and adoption.  He is totally on board and has affirmed me so well in my desire to find out all I can.  It is neat to have lead the way into this.  Scott has shown so much love as he has listened to my heart and heard about my passionate desire to love on a child that needs a home.   

I will keep you all posted about our experience on this journey.  I am sure there will be a lot to share along the way.  

10 comments:

laurie said...

Yeah for the Morrison family! I'm so excited for you all as you have embark on this journey. I'm thrilled to hear your heart through this process. Love you and can't wait to see you soon.

Jennifer said...

That is awesome! keep us posted through your journey. We wish you the best and know that any child that lands in the Morrison family will be blessed.

The Presnell's said...

Wow Anna! That's amazing. I always thought about adopting as well. I still think about it. That's so wonderful of you and Scott to open your hearts and home like that. Congratulations.

TS said...

I couldn't think of a better family to love a child. Good luck and keep us informed.

love you annie-girl!

torie

Laura said...

YEAH! that is so awesome. i love your heart and your openness to put faith to actions. to BE the hands and feet of Jesus to these children that are hurting. what a gift . . . can't wait to see how it unfolds. thanks for following so well. :)

Chrystal said...

WOW! Anna, I'll be praying for this process and for God to reveal exactly what He wants you to do. What a blessed child that would be to live and learn in your home!!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

Matthew and I have desired to adopt for a very long time. We too, have read about adoption on our own area because of the same reason you have listed. Still looking at where it will all lead with us. I look forward to seeing the journey for you guys right here on your sweet blog. :)

Unknown said...

WOW.. You are a special person Anna!! That is so sweet and I hope that all works out for you and your husband!! Any child will be blessed to enter your heart and home!!

Brooke said...

That is great! God will grow you and your family through this process whether you decide to foster, adopt or just check it out.
I look forward to reading about the process on your blog in the coming months. ~Brooke

CS Stanley said...

My friends in East Asia just adopted their 5th from Ethiopia, and a few other families are doing it too. here's their blog: http://rescuedremnant.blogspot.com/

also this link/book just popped up yesterday and caught my eye: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/BetweenTheTimes/~3/6MaY1RlB4C8/