Saturday, May 2, 2009

Red Gold and Other Gems

I made some delicious strawberry jam.  I ended up with 12 jars.  What a gratifying experience.  For those that want to try out a great recipe, go to the Pomona's Universal Pectin website.  I found the recipe and thought that would be the easiest way to share it with you.  I decided to carve out some time on Thursday evening during the kid's movie night.  I ended up needing more than two hours.  The washing and cutting of the berries takes the longest.  I typed up a post last year about my experience canning.  If you want to check that out here is the link.


Now on to garden talk.  I could not be more pleased with the way our garden is growing.  Some times, actually multiple times a day, I walk out on the back deck and just stare at it.  I love gardening.  Because of having a newborn, breastfeeding or something, I have not really been able to enjoy working hard with a garden in years past.  This new hobby of mine is full of joy and it is so rewarding.  Currently, we are harvesting radishes, red lettuce, snow peas and chives.  Here are a few pictures.

radish

potatoes

sparse, but growing spinach

romaine lettuce

my kale seeds have come up beautifully

one of my garden helpers, Maddie, watering for me

Brussels spouts, lot of different lettuces, kale, red leaf lettuce and rainbow chard

eggplant

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your garden looks beautiful! I am going today to get my cucumbers,zucc,squa, jalap,gr pepp. And a few more tomatos, I went to a garden club yard sale and they were closing and I got 5 tomato plants for .50 cent each! But I need probably about 5 more. Love this pixs!!!

Anonymous said...

your garden makes me covetous....like naughty Peter Rabbit....

Leah

The Presnell's said...

Wow Anna, you garden looks wonderful!! I definitely want to make some jam. I will have to try out your recipee. :)

Jennifer said...

I'm going to the strawberry patch next week with our homeschool group. I was thinking about being lazy this year and not doing jam but, after seeing your pics I think I'm going to have to go get me some more panoma's pectin and get the cans out! Thanks for sharing. Your garden looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Yalls garden looks amazingly healthy. Well done. Anna, that kale looks amazing. A good thing to plant tons of. It should produce all summer right? Madelyn (and brothers I'm sure), way to go taking care of those plants with the watering. I can tell they are well cared for.
Daniel

Unknown said...

beautiful garden!! I love it!! We have planted alot this year too cant wait to eat fresh from the garden!! your radish's look great! we couldnt wait and pulled one of ours a little early it was delicious!! great post!