Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Recipes

A few of my faithful readers asked for these recipes, so here they are.  

Rainbow Chard
This yummy leafy green makes a wonderful side dish.  Wash the leaves, dry them,  and use them soon.  Lately, I have been cutting, washing and cooking them straight from the garden.  The leaves and stalk both can been eaten.  The multi-colored stalk has a nice celery-like crunch to it.  You can chop or leave the leaf pieces bigger.  I put them in my pan, drizzle a little water over them, as well as lemon juice, tamari (soy sauce), sea salt, pepper and olive oil.  I turn my burner on medium and only allow it to cook for about 7-9 minutes.  I do stir occasionally.  It is better when it is crunchy verses chewy.  That is it!  Super simple.

Turnip Greens
This is a new favorite for Scott and me.  You'll need the entire turnip, leaves and all.  Cut off the turnips, wash, and chop.  Put them in a large pot with olive oil and chopped garlic.  Saute those on medium until tender.  As those are cooking, wash the leaves and chop them up pretty small.  Add a dash of water to the pan of turnips and then add the greens.  Stir them well.  Add some apple cider vinegar (to your taste, not too much though), also add tamari, olive oil and pepper.  Stir well and cook them for about 10 minutes.  Enjoy my favorite southern side dish!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipes. I had no idea how you'd cook those. I really enjoy your blog.
~Brooke