Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It's All Good~Legos, Highs, Lows, Vaporub and Abnormal

Sitting here with a floor full of Legos and kids at my feet.  If you'd ask me how things have been lately, I'd tell you I wish we could share a cup of tea over it, because it would take awhile.  Life is full and good.  Yesterday, was a rough transitioning day.  We started back with homeschooling and Scott was gone during working hours.  I (we) have treasured our time at home with him during our Christmas break.  It has been so rich.  Now it is back to what we call normal.  Or maybe to some, I should say, it is back to the abnormal.  

Homeschooling is full of ups and downs.  Yesterday was a pretty good taste of the downs, today has been full of ups.  Maybe it is the Jasmine tea I drank this morning, my kids' stable temperaments, a compliment from my hubby this morning, staying in my comfy clothes, or an email from Mom- but today has been full of smiles and deep breaths.  Each day is different.  Thank the Lord, His mercies are new each and every day.

My lively little two year old Brayden has entered into the dreaded transition of giving up his nap.  He still naps and needs to, it just makes him stay up a little or a lot later at night depending on when his nap actually happened.  The other day he went down for a late nap at 2 or so.  Sure enough, he just wasn't tired enough at 8 or 8:30 to sleep.  So, 2 hours later when I thought he was sleeping, I hear this noise coming from the bathroom upstairs.  It is never a good thing if I would ever reach the top of the stairs at 10:15 PM and see Ellie the elephant on the floor outside the bathroom door.  I found our little night owl trying to wash VICKS Vaporub from his hands and face.  It was everywhere.  Then, after I put him to bed and he literally passed out, I walked to my room where I found much evidence of his little playful self.  Yes, he had taken an ink pen and drawn on my Mac computer screen.  Lovely, just lovely.  

So, life is never dull.  I am thankful for the highs and lows.  I am thankful for this house and all that goes on in between these walls.  The love is ever present, as well as the struggle to live as we ought.  

I will share some pictures from the past two days.  You won't find pictures from the Vaporub incident, although that would have been quite entertaining.  You won't find pictures of the moments we struggled through our transitioning day yesterday.  You will see us doing what we do best; enjoying life, learning and loving .  


Aren't these two cute little workers?



Just hangin' out with Dad.


So sweet.  They love their Daddy.


This is last night's supper, Broccoli and Zucchini Toss with Roasted Almonds



Right after chores, Julian read to the other kids on the couch before table work.


I have to have a plan.  These are my homeschool plans for the week.


Kalen's matching game that encourages him to know his letter sounds.


Brayden is pictured here with Maddie.  He is trying out a new (at least he thinks it is new :) ) matching number book.  He is totally part of our homeschool.


Big brother Julian checks to see if Kalen is getting his numbers right.


We studied Casper David Friedrich in Art today.  He was a German Romantic artist from the 1800s.  His paintings usually involved nature and a person's appreciation of it or feelings about it.  It is obvious from Friedrich's work that he wanted to evoke emotion from his art.  Julian drew a picture of a person standing on a bridge looking out onto a beautiful landscape.  Art is just the best.  I love experiencing it with my kids.  

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am inspired to stay the course. Thanks for the pic's of your reality. Seeing your face is a ray of sunshine!
Ment to mention on the phone- possible road trip for -me & Joshua- late feb. early may & will go thru durham!!! could we have a playdate? :) with hope- mandy

laurie said...

Girl, I'm right there with ya! The last few days settling in have been full of ups and downs. But press on, rest, and start a new. Diddo sista on the whole mercies new thing! Love you

Anonymous said...

Hey! I used to use that plan book! I gotta say, I got a little thrill looking at those full pages...something special about a fully planned week of teaching!!

Love ya! Leah

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing! I so need the inspiration. I peeked closely at the planning book:) My favorite part was glancing up to your "life is good" coffee mug! Anna you are right life is GOOD! I will try to remind myself often!

Jennifer said...

thanks for posting your planner. I liked getting a look at how you organize your week on paper. It is helpful to see how others do it. I think I might get me a planner:) I still right everything down on plain sheets of paper in note style. How far in advance do you plan? love, jen