Saturday, July 14, 2007

Lan and Elizabeth

I have told you some stories about unkind people in Durham, let me tell you about two fine women full of kindness, beauty, and goodness. As Scott was out front this afternoon with the three oldest kids, one of our neighbors from across the street came over. She talked with Scott for 30 or 45 minutes before I got Brayden up from his nap and then I joined the friendly chat. Lan is her name. She is 60 years old, married and from Vietnam. She is a very healthy little lady and spends a lot of time working in her Asian garden outside.

She speaks English pretty well. You can tell she struggles sometimes when phrasing something she wants to say. She spoke of many things. She certainly has a story to tell. She says she stays home all day, every day. She told me she would like to come over and play with the kids some days. I thought that was very sweet. I commented on how nice her blouse was. She told me she made it. She makes their clothes. My mouth dropped. I told Scott I would love to have her make me some oriental tops like that!

Lan took Scott, Madelyn, and Kalen over to get some fresh vegetables from her garden. Scott said she talked about so many different herbs and vegetables that he asked her if she would teach us how to cook some of the dishes she prepares. She was enthusastic when she said, "yes!"

Then, almost as if the two timed it, Elizabeth from directly across the street came over to our home when Scott came back from Lan's. She lives with her son and is in her 80's. She brought over a big fruit basket and a book for the kids that she wrote. She is a retired school teacher and professor at UNC. Delightful African-American lady. Might I say that the fruit basket could not have been more perfect for our family. You know, when you see fruit baskets they are usually filled with apples, bananas and oranges. Well, Elizabeth went and bought some mangos, a plum, a big ol' pineapple, bananas and some granny smith apples. Yum!! Oh, and if you don't know me very well, I truly have a thing for baskets.

Needless to say, our hearts are thankful and comforted by the goodness and friendliness of the neighbors just across the street. I look forward to knowing them more and checking in on them from time to time. You know how older ladies like to watch people, well we have quite a show every day. We love to be outside and we have so much life growing here.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Yeah,
good to hear. Glad you all are finding some community in the neighborhood. Awesome!
Daniel