Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rosie


Do you remember Rosie? Rosie was the robot on the Jetsons. I grew up watching this clever cartoon show. I loved all the characters. I guess I liked the young Judy the best but I always liked Rosie. Rosie is the family maid. Because the show was to be from the future, Rosie was a robot. Rosie was always on duty; cleaning, waiting on every member of the family, capable of being interrupted, no feelings, no baggage, no desires, just a worker.

Yesterday, I had the image of Rosie in my mind throughout most of the day. I compared myself to her role within her family. As a mother, I feel the weight of caring for everyone, cleaning, cooking, teaching, and fixing problems. No appreciation. No one asking me what I wanted to do. Feeling like my feelings don't much matter, just here to serve and not be served. Always on the job!

I vented last night to Scott and shared this analogy. He commented on how it would be a good blog post. I agree. I know for a fact that a lot of mothers could relate to this comparison.

When I was growing up, like most, I did not really appreciate all that my mother did for me. I just expected it all to get done and I didn't really ever ask her how she was doing or how she felt, much less say thank you very often. Not until I became a mother, did I know the amount of selflessness that is required when mothering and being a wife. The role of a wife and a mother is one that is full of unconditional giving and loving.

I fought the battle in my mind all day yesterday. "Well, what about me?" "They didn't even say thank you." "Ugh, I have to do the dishes again, I just cleaned up breakfast." It was a battle I did not win. I realized, as I do every now and again, that I have to die to myself daily. Unlike Rosie, I do have feelings. I do have desires and passions. I have to figure out when it is the best time to share my feelings, seek out my hobbies, and live my passions. This task of giving and loving is not easy. Not that I don't love my family, it is just a lot of work. I will continue to battle with this selfishness as long as I live.

I am determined to love and be loved.

2 comments:

TS said...

AMEN SISTER! It is soooo great to hear someone speak my most inner thoughts! WOO-HOO!!!

I was speaking to someone at work today about this very subject. How is it that something that is so hard (and crappy at times) be so great and rewarding?

God knew what he was doing when he made us mothers!

MUCH LOVE - SWEET GIRL - KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Torie

laurie said...

I love your honesty Anna! I'm right there with ya, and flying solo for a few days while Chad's away...Single Moms...I have an AMAZING appreciation...That's a whole nother(is that a word) blog for them.