Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mini me





Miss Madelyn Virginia said to me yesterday, "I want to be just like you." She was referring to the length of my hair and the long skirt I had on. She, very much so, wants to follow my example. Numerous times a day, I hear her famous, "I'll be there in a moment." I have realized that I say that same phrase just as often. She wants to clean with me, cook with me, and pick out clothes that match mine. She loves to help Brayden and nurtures him so well.

It is quite a responsibility we have modeling the appropriate behavior and attitude for our children. This morning, I had gathered the kids for table time. Every Tuesday I or they pick a creature of sort and we study it for Science. Today, I chose a crab. I figured we would see some at the beach next week. Well, I read to them, asked them questions, tried to keep them in their seats, and asked them to draw a picture of a crab. I should have told them to draw a picture of me, because I was so crabby this morning. Indeed, I had to let Scott take over because of my impatience and frustration. I couldn't, at the time, put my finger on the reason why I was so ill, but I was.

I wear my emotions on my face. I am so easy to read. This is why it is scary, at times, the grand responsibility we have to raise our children up. I want our children to see me modeling only the good, but that is not possible. I have and will continue to be upfront with my children when I have a bad attitude and mess up. Maddie just came up while I was typing this and said, "hey". I told her I had had a bad attitude and I had to change it up here in my room. She giggled. I said, "Mommy messes up sometimes, too."

I have told Scott a couple of times, "I hope I have not ruined them today." This referring to a not so pleasant or angry mommy. I know that they need to see us weak. They need to see us giving grace to ourselves. They need to see us talk about how we can better ourselves.

I am glad Madelyn wants to be like me. It keeps me on my toes. We both have a lot of learning and growing to do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have an imaginary 'therapy jar' for just such an occasion/day, in which we regularly make deposits.

.....I want to be like you, too:)