Saturday, July 28, 2007

The lighter side of life




This morning we had breakfast and scooted on out the door to the farmer's market in downtown Durham. We picked up some fresh kale, orange tomatoes, ocra and green beans. It was definitely the place to be. There were tons of people stocking up on fresh fruit and veggies.

We came back home to play and do various things that needed to be done. Naps were had and we were out again to our favorite grocery store, Whole Foods. We are enjoying that area of Durham. The Whole Foods is actually right beside Duke University. This is also the same area we have been attending a church in. More on that later.

This evening I was putting away some of my little boy's clothes. I opened his shirt drawer to find that almost every shirt within it had been rolled up and stuffed in. This certain little boy loves to change his clothes throughout the day. He delights in picking out his outfits. This is an area I have slowly learned to let go of. Kalen and Madelyn both enjoy putting outfits together for their day. I figure we need to really encourage their creativity and style. This allows independence and creative expression. The other day Madelyn wanted to wear two different flip flops. I said "no" at first but then realized it didn't matter. She proudly wore her brown and purple flip flops during our outing. Okay, back to the drawer of rolled up socks. Five years ago, I would have looked in that drawer and immediately started nagging the culprit about taking shirts out and being so messy with his/her things. Today, I chuckled and almost got a little teary eyed. My mindset has changed. I delight in Kalen's willingness and desire to dress himself. Even more so, I am tickled that he would put the shirts back in the drawer and not leave them on the floor. I am constantly trying to learn not to get so irritated about the small things.

This lighthearted attitude is what I desire throughout my days. I get so caught up in certain tasks that I miss the chance to enjoy certain moments that could be life giving and really sweet and memorable.

No comments: