Monday, July 16, 2007

Our Wildflower



Just last week I was speaking with my friend, Laurie, about children that are quite spirited and colorful. She used the name wildflower to describe one. Well, I have one. He is full of life and character. Even at three, he can light up a room. His name is Kalen.

Today, he made me dance. I mean, really dance. If you know me well, I am not that much of a dancer. I can be stiff and a little too modest. When I say that he made me dance, I don't mean he actually made my body move but his joyful spirit and excitement made me want to. Well, we turned up Kalen's favorite song by Laurie Berkner and we danced our hearts out.

He says so many things, daily, that crack us up and melt our hearts. Let me share a few from today . . .

This morning I asked Kalen to play with Brayden while I vacuumed. Yes, as odd as it sounds, I trust those two together. I finished and went back to Brayden's room to relieve Kalen of his babysitting job. I said, "Thank you Kalen for helping me." As he ran down the hall he said, "You're welcome Miss Lady."

This afternoon the kids and I were all downstairs in the living room. My biggest three were all taking turns singing songs. Kalen sang a round of "Row Row Row Your Boat." Madelyn sang "Baa Baa Black Sheep." Julian sang "B-I-N-G-O." As they were all deliberating on their next choice of song, Kalen stood tall on the stool and sang (to the tune of "Mary had a Little Lamb") something like this, "Mary had a silent night, silent night, silent night, Mary had a silent night and sheeee diiiid go BLAH!" After that he fell face down into some pillows lying on the floor.

At supper tonight he drank some limeade drink that Scott had picked up for them today. He was trying it for the first time and said, "Ooooohh, my heart is so cold." I don't know exactly what that meant. But he didn't drink anymore. Oh and he filled his mouth so full of fruit, mainly grapes, that Scott and I had to turn our heads and giggle before we commented on not filling his mouth with so much food.

Two of my favorite Kalen words of the day were "flops" and "flinky". "Flops" (actually pronounced "slops") was referring to Wilber's reward as he returned to the barn in our story, Charlotte's Web, that Kalen and I are reading. He was telling Scott about the part we read today. "Flinky" is Kalen's word for slinky. That was his favorite toy of the day. That means the one he kept losing and wanted to find all day.

Kalen is such an amazing light in our lives. We are so thankful for this little wildflower growing in our garden.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How precious, Miss lady!! I love getting a glimpse of little Kalen's personality. He and Reece are so much alike. I enjoy thinking about the two of them being great friends one day. Big hugs, Kalen, sweet boy!