Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Salutations


I was reading to Kalen tonight from E. B. White's Charlotte's Web. This has been the first chapter book that we have read to our little ones. Tonight, we read the chapter in which Wilbur meets his new friend, Charlotte the spider. Wilbur is beside himself with excitement as he hears from the barn a thin voice calling out, "salutations." Wilbur, being new to the Zuckerman's farm, has been so eager to meet someone that would befriend him. The other animals that he has come across have been just acquaintances.

After I read to Kalen, I always ask him a few questions to see if he understood the plot. Tonight, I asked him what salutations meant. He said, "it means hello, mommy." Indeed it does! It is a greeting.

Oh, how I can relate to little ol' Wilbur. Just as he was new to the farm, I am new to this city. I am very eager to be pursued by a kind woman that will call out something like salutations. I imagine Wilbur being a bit surprised to find that his admirer and friend was a spider, not exactly a likely chum for a pig. I must expect the unexpected, eh?

For now, I hold close the comfort of knowing and loving those that surround me in this home. I am not at a loss for companionship within this house, for sure. God is good and my cup is full.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, how I wish we were already there. I'd be yelling "salutations", probably way too loudly, out of excitement....:) I love you.