Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nok Hockey!

This is a post by Scott:

Anna and I are trying, for a number of reasons, to shop at local thrift stores more often.  We have found these excursions to be quite fun.  For example, yesterday Anna decided to try on a pair of knee-high black boots.  And so did Madelyn.  And so did Kalen.  And so did Brayden.

In past trips we have made some sweet purchases.  A doll for Madelyn, practically brand new, was bought for 50 cents.  Both Julian and Kalen now have Rollerblades that only cost $7 combined.  

Yesterday, though, we found treasure: Nok Hockey!  This game was first sold in 1948.  I grew up with a Nok Hockey game board but we sold it in a yard sale I don't know how long ago.  I hadn't thought about it for so many years!  My heart started beating rapidly and my jaw dropped.  Anna looked at me with a combination of fright and confusion.

This board has "Copyright 1970" printed on it, but I don't know how old it is.  I immediately called my father as I knew he would be the only person with whom I could share my joy.  He laughed out loud when I told him what I'd found.

Needless to say, I bought the board for $4.  The sticks and puck weren't included, so we had to be creative when we got home.  Right now the puck is a wooden checker piece and I made sticks out of K'nex pieces.  The kids have played virtually non-stop since yesterday afternoon.

Nok Hockey is still sold in stores (like Target) and online after all these years.  So maybe our board isn't that old after all.  But we are enjoying it nonetheless.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great find Scott, I remember playing the game at a friends house when I was in school. Hope you guys are great.